Korean army stew (Budae Jjigae) is definitely one of Korea's most popular hot pot dishes. Whether the cold weather is calling for this type of comfort food, or you simply want to invite your friends and family over for this sharing-friendly meal.
It's reasonably priced to buy and, even better, it's made with simple ingredients that are easy to find if you are making it yourself.
The best part about making this delicious stew is how simple the preparation is – mostly cutting and slicing the ingredients. You can also omit/substitute the main ingredients as per your own preference too.
Learn how to make a popular Korean hot pot dish – Budae Jjigae (Army stew)! It is loaded with Kimchi, spam, sausages, ramen noodles, and much more!
ARMY STEW (BUDAE JJIGAE 부대찌개)
INGREDIENTS FOR BUDAE JJIGAE (SERVES 2):
- 2 cups (0.5 litre) chicken stock
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 100g SPAM, thinly sliced
- 4 cocktail Frankfurt sausage 150g, thinly & diagonally sliced
- 150g tofu, sliced (about 1.5cm, 1/2 inch thickness)
- 100g enoki mushrooms, base stem removed & stems separated
- 100g king oyster mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 100g shiitake mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup JIN Kimchi
- 50g instant ramen noodles
- 25g Korean rice cakes for soup, soaked in cold water for 15 mins if it was frozen
- 15g green onion, thinly & diagonally sliced
- 1 or 2 slices of cheese
SAUCE (Mix these in a small bowl)
- 1/2 Tbsp Korean chili paste (Gochujang)
- 2 Tbsp Korean chili flakes (Gochugaru)
- 1/2 Tbsp Clam stock power
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp Light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp rice wine (mirin)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- A few sprinkles of ground black pepper
1. Assemble the main ingredients (except for instant ramen noodles, rice cakes, green onion and cheese) in a shallow pot.
2. In a small bowl, mix all the sauce ingredients till well blended. Add this to the middle of the pot.
3. Add kimchi and sauce in the middle. Pour the stock into the corner of the pot. Close the lid and boil it on medium-high heat until the stock starts to boil (about 10 mins).
4. Remove the lid, add the remaining ingredients – instant ramen noodles, rice cakes, green onion, and cheese on top of the pot and boil uncovered until the noodles are cooked (about 2 to 3 mins).
5. Place the cheese slices on the surface of the stew and remove them from the heat. Serve immediately. Reduce the heat to low (if you’re cooking on a portable burner and having it as hotpot).
Do give this recipe a try, and if you do, do remember to share it with us on our Instagram! Good luck and have fun with this one!
Get your JIN Kimchi here!