Kimchi Fried Rice is easily the simplest dish with kimchi. Rice is an essential part of our asian life, and fried rice is just one in a thousand ways to spice up the recipe of rice. With fusion food becoming more popular, Kimchi Fried Rice recipes are becoming more and more widespread. There are thousands of different kimchi fried rice recipe. But today, I'll be sharing with you my favourite kimchi fried rice recipe. But first, I have some secrets to share with you.
With kimchi fried rice, left over rice taste better. Because, the rice is a little drier than freshly cooked rice, therefore it is more suitable for absorbing the sauce while staying chewy.
There a secret ingredient to differentiate normal fried rice and kimchi fried rice. Other than Kimchi, the secret ingredient is, Gochujang! Gochujang is a korean chilli paste that is often found in our neighbourhood supermarket, NTUC, Cold Storage or Sheng Shiong. For people who dislike spice, don't worry. Gochujang has a sweet base with a whiff of spice.
Finally, this is my favourite recipe for kimchi fried rice.
- ½ can Luncheon Meat
- 2½ tbsp Gochujang
- 1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- ⅛ cup Water
- 1 cup chopped kimchi
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 cups Japonica Short Grain Rice (Uncooked Grain)
- 1 Fried Egg (optional)
- Shredded Nori (optional)
- Sesame seeds (optional)
1. Dice up some luncheon meat. You may also prepare other meat of your choice.
2. Prepare fried rice sauce, mix gochujang paste, soy sauce, sesame oil and mirin in a bowl. Put this aside.
3. Add oil in a dry pan and stir fry the kimchi. When the vegetables are half cooked add in the luncheon meat.
* If you're doing this with other meat, cook the meat first under medium heat. Stir fry till it turns brown on the edges and the fats starts to melt. Remove the meat from the pan and add it in after frying the kimchi.
4. Add your cooked rice and stir.
5. Season with our fried rice sauce and stir again!
6. Push down your rice with your spatula, allow it to cook for 3-4 minutes over medium heat to allow the rice on the bottom to get a-little crispy (be careful not to burn it!)
7. You may choose to garnish with a fried egg, seaweed and/or sesame seed to top off your dish! (optional)
and you're done!
Do try it out and share with us on our Instagram! Excited to see all of your creations! Meanwhile, stay safe and good luck!