Kimchi Pancake is one of the more popular dishes here in Singapore. It is a type of savoury pancake that is crispy on the edges and chewy in the centre - definitely very mouth-watering!
Kimchi Pancake can be eaten with rice, as a meal, or just as a snack. It will take no time at all to prepare this dish - just 15 minutes is all you need!
Some tips for making the best kimchi pancake:
1. Use sufficient oil when frying the pancake to ensure an evenly cooked pancake
2. Increase the heat at the end for extra crispiness on the edges.
3. Use kimchi that is slightly more fermented, so that the kimchi flavour will be fragrant enough.
KOREAN KIMCHI PANCAKE (KIMCHIJEON 김치전)
- 1 cup kimchi
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup pancake mix
- 3/4 cup frying mix
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tsp sugar
- In a bowl, combine pancake mix, frying mix and cold water. Batter should have a watery consistency.
- Add kimchi and sliced onion into the batter and mix well with a spatula.
- Add sugar, and mix well.
- Add about 1 tbsp of cooking oil (vegetable oil, olive oil or any other oil of your choice) to a frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Ladle the pancake batter into the pan, spreading the ingredients out evenly in a circular motion.
- After 2-3 minutes, flip the pancake over and add more oil around and underneath the pancake. To get that nice char, press down on the pancake while it is frying for that extra crispiness.
- After 1-2 minutes, transfer the pancake to a paper towel to soak up any excess oil, and serve.
For an additional touch, you could make a dipping sauce to go with it.
- 1 tsp Gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, mix well and set aside for a few minutes to let the sugar dissolve.
Voila, a simple yet delicious dipping sauce for your kimchi pancakes!
Do try it out and share it with us by tagging us on our Instagram! We're excited to see all of your creations! Good luck, and hope that you all are still staying safe!
Get your JIN Kimchi here!