We've all heard about the movie Parasite, and we've definitely been captivated by the thought-provoking plot and the amazing cinematography. Besides that, something else definitely caught our eyes too - the noodle dish featured in the film! It's called Jjapaguri, and you will be just as shocked as I was when you find out that this recipe is super easy to make, and it doesn't take much time to make either. This recipe is sure to be your new go-to midday snack!
Jjapaguri goes really well with kimchi, as the fresh bite from the kimchi helps to cut out some of the oily feeling from the noodles while adding a wonderful pop of flavour. The tanginess from the kimchi also adds a new layer of flavour that definitely brings your Jjapaguri up a couple of notches!
Make sure not to overcook the instant ramen - this makes your noodles soggy, less bouncy and less "QQ". It also makes it harder for the seasonings to cling onto the noodles. So remember to keep an eye on the pot while your noodles are boiling!
- 3 slices thick-cut pork belly
- Salt and pepper, a pinch
- 1 packet Chapagetti ramen
- 1 packet Neoguri ramen
- 1 tbsp Gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes)
- 1/4 cup kimchi, on the side to serve
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, add the thick-cut pork belly. Add salt and pepper on both sides, and grill till there's a nice golden char. To help this process, after flipping the pork belly twice, cut them into smaller pieces and continue flipping till that char is reached. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a pot of boiling water, add the noodles and vegetable flakes from both ramen packets. Boil until just cooked, and drain the water.
- To the dry noodles, add the Chapagetti oil, Chapagetti seasoning powder, 1/2 packet Neoguri seasoning powder and the Gochugaru. Toss the noodles and seasoning together until well-combined.
- Add the pork belly and kimchi on the side and serve.
And there you have it - a really simple recipe for Jjapaguri!
Do give this insanely easy recipe a try, and do share it with us on Instagram if you do! I hope you'll enjoy this recipe as much as we've all enjoyed the movie!
Get your JIN Kimchi here!